So 2011 was not exactly the horsey year of my dreams. In fact, it was my horse showing year since Gen got hurt in 2007. Wait…I just checked and I actually showed MORE the year that Gen was hurt. This year sucked for showing!
It started off with me riding The SchoolMaster. I had a mental breakdown about it and felt completely over mounted…even though all evidence including video and eye witness accounts says that I wasn’t. It wasn’t fun, but it was cool to ride a fancy pants horse for a little while. Then I found my Lucky Lady and riding became fun again. Even though the summer show season was a total FAIL I wouldn’t call it a total wash. Sure, this is not at all how I imagined how this year would go, but I think I am heading off in a new direction.
I know that Lucky is injured right now so I won’t be starting 2012 off the way that I want, but at least I am riding a horse that I like right now. So without further ado here are my 2011 goals that I wrote last year with explanations as to why they didn’t pan out…
1) Get my sitting trot to be “show worthy” – I actually do work on my sitting trot with Lucky. I am no where near enhancing the gait yet though so it is a long way off from show worthy.
2) Learn to feel that haunches in and do it without needing to look in the mirror. – Since I ride in an outdoor now without anything I can’t look in a mirror. I still struggle with the haunches in, but I do think it is much better than this time last year…at least at the walk…
3) Work on my flying changes. I want to be able to do four 5 tempis by the end of the year and have them all be clean and straight. – Yeah no…this is a totally failed goal. Lucky and I are still struggling with her canter in general and getting it to be 3 beats and CLEAN. Changes are a long way off.
4) Lease the Schoolmaster again. – Fail
5) Learn how to show a horse in hand. – hmmm…I don’t think I can call this goal completed because I would get killed if I did an AQHA class in hand, but I did improve a lot to the point where I placed well at the fun show earlier in the summer.
6) Figure out if I really want a second horse. – The goal is completed. The answer is no. I bought a house instead so I am not that sad about this goal.
7) Try and find a more affordable retirement barn for Gen (under $400 a month) – Failed this goal as well. I did find a really nice barn for $450 down the road from where Gen lives now so at least I have a back up plan now (hopefully I won’t need it)
8)Show at the fun shows again. – YAY! A Goal I completed! It was only in hand stuff though, but at least I went with Lucky.
9) Get more involved in the horse community. – I did this also. I joined the youth committee of my local GMO. I don’t think I will do it again next year.
10) Take a lesson in two different disciplines besides dressage. – I have no excuse for this one. I have hardly been taking lessons at all this year in general so learning new things clearly just slipped my mind. Maybe I should cary this goal over to next year?