TM’s first dressage show – Part 1

So I signed up for this horse show because my trainer talked me in to it. When I logged online to get my times I found out that neither she, nor any of her other students had signed up. I guess they forgot to tell me that they were not going. I was momentarily upset that I was going alone, but it didn’t take long for me to recover. While no one wants to do their second show with a horse without support, of all the shows this one was at least the one to do it.
I figured that since the show was only ¾ a mile away if I had a problem trailering I could just hand walk her over. I didn’t want to do that because the road to the show is 45 mph with no shoulders and has a blind curve, but worst case scenario it was at least an option. I had also decided that I would trailer TM with the saddle on. She is a sensible girl and has never flown off the trailer so even though she might not be the most experienced horse in the world I trusted her with tack on. That way I could just get to the show, get myself ready and put her bridle on in the trailer and not have to worry about having anyone to hold her. In fact, I would say by Friday morning I was feeling downright confident about going by myself.
When I walked out the door on Friday morning it was in the 60s. I had assumed that meant it would be a nice warm day so I started to get excited. I hadn’t ridden at a show since Memorial Day 2010. 17 months is a long time to not have been in the show ring, especially considering I want to show and have a truck and trailer. When one of my co-workers came back from lunch my perfect plan started to unravel. They told me it was freezing outside. When I looked confused they told me that the weather man was predicting a big temperature drop and that it would go down to the 30s that night. I quickly pulled out my phone to confirm.
So there is no hot water at TM’s barn. I figured if I left work on time (not something that normally happens) and hurried I would have enough time to give TM a bath and load her up with coolers before it got dark out. I was obsessing about it all day until I could finally leave. Walking out to the car I felt for the first time how cold it had gotten out..and there was no sun, it was cloudy and overcast out. I work almost an hour away from TM’s barn so I had a long time to think about what I was going to do.
I mean, I had to decide if it was worth it to have a clean horse at the show or if it was just mean to give a horse a cold water bath when the temperature was 52 degrees and dropping. I knew that no matter what I did I would be upset by my decision…

To Be Continued…


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s